Monday, August 24, 2015

Cross Country Drive

So, I'm backtracking so I can document our trip across the country.

After the doctor confirmed my miscarriage, we told GM we had to leave, like, NOW. Fortunately they were very understanding and said that that was fine. Jordan just had to go in and talk with them on Friday (that day was Thursday) and give them his badge and things.

We spent the rest of the day packing and cleaning like crazy people. It was incredibly stressful but focusing on the trip and packing was actually very distracting. No time to wallow. We stayed up that night until about 11 getting as much as we could ready to go.

I had planned on taking Logan to Harry Potter day at the library (for Harry's birthday, July 31) and I had made us Harry Potter shirts. I put Logan's shirt on him and took a few pictures.




I love Harry Potter. I've been rereading the books lately. I remembered this quote from Professor Dumbledore and it was very comforting to me on that day.


Anyway, while Jordan was at work turning in his stuff, I got everything cleaned and packed. Seriously. All by myself. It was kind of insane, especially with Logan around. He was really really good though to mostly let me clean while he was watching Mickey Mouse. He did want to help me clean the floors in the bathroom, but we eventually overcame that obstacle.

Jordan's thing at work took way longer than we thought it would and we didn't get on the road until about 4:00 that day. Logan actually fell asleep on the couch while watching Planes. He usually naps at 1 or 1:30, and he conked out at 3. This has never, ever happened before. I was hoping he'd sleep in the car, but oh well. Poor kid.



Surprisingly, he was totally fine when he woke up (he's usually in the worst mood after nap) and was totally happy to chill in the car for six hours playing with his plane and bus and watching movies.


That night I can't remember where we stayed. It was a tiny little town. Did I mention we had a bag strapped to the top of our car? We looked super ghetto.


We continued on our long drive, and eventually stopped at a park to play around noon. We ate our lunch there and let us run around. This turned out to be awesome, because Logan napped for FOUR HOURS after that. Crazy.


When he woke up, he got a new plane because he had been amazing on our drive so far. Seriously he wasn't even whining. It was incredible.



We stopped at a Wendy's for dinner where you can see some chicken nuggets in Logan's mouth. Yum. I let him run around the Wendy's at full speed and didn't try to stop him. There were a bunch of nice old ladies eating there and I told him we'd been in the car for about 14 hours and we had 10 left to go. They were pretty impressed.


Logan continued to be great for the last 3 hours in the car that day while we made it to Sidney, Nebraska. I saw this rainbow following us and it made me smile.


The next day we were up early and on the road by 6:30 I think. Logan continued to be happy and cheerful. We stopped at another park, somewhere in Wyoming, for lunch. It was really hot though so we didn't stay for too long. About a half hour after we took off Logan did his only crying for the whole trip. He was exhausted but was having a hard time falling asleep. He cried/screamed for ten minutes and then conked out and slept the entire rest of the trip (about two and a half hours).


We finally made it to Mike and Laurie's and we were extremely happy to get out of the car. Logan was thrilled and ran all over his Grammy's house. Laurie had made amazing pot roast for dinner and it was so so so SO nice to eat something that wasn't from a fast food place.

Lucky us, my friend Christy had been visiting Sacramento and agreed to give Lexi a ride (even though her car was super full) back to Utah. We happened to arrive on the same day! How great. I went to go pick her up from Christy's house. It was so nice to see her again. Don't mind me in the picture, I'd been in a car for three days!


It was great to walk into our house and have all our stuff and everything. Certainly nice to be home, and we're so grateful that Logan was good in the car! That could have been a miserable trip, but that was a tender mercy.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

We were all so thankful you made it safely! Hugs!