Thursday, September 17, 2009

Back in the Saddle


Lots of people are under the impression that since I work with horses, I get to ride horses a lot. Sadly, this is not true--I teach a lot of kids how to ride horses (while I stand on the ground), I brush and saddle a lot of horses, and I pick up a lot of horse poop. But I don't really get to ride much. And boy, have I missed it.


So when I started searching around for places to take riding lessons, I got really excited. I wasn't sure how Jordan would feel about spending that chunk of money when, after all, I already know how to ride (people think it's weird that you have to keep taking lessons when you've ridden for 10 years. But there is always more to learn!). But he has been very supportive and says that he loves how happy I am now that I'm back into it.


I've taken three or four lessons now (I take them Tuesdays right after work) and I ride with Sara Kirby, at Zephyr Ranch down in Spanish Fork (which is the only hunter/jumper riding stable not in SLC!). I'm really happy with her; she knows a lot and is willing to work with my extremely low budget. I've been riding two of her horses: Aries, a 4-year-old Arab/Warmblood mare. She's gorgeous and sweet, and a lot of fun to ride. The other horse is Tai (pictured above), a beautiful 14-year-old warmblood gelding. He's super powerful and so very cool.


Anyway, it's been great to get back to jumping. Both the horses I'm riding are pretty green, and it's nice to have a challenge. Plus it's great to meet people in the horse community here--if Jordan ends up getting a job here, Scout would love to live at Zephyr, and I'm sure Sara and I would have no trouble finding someone to half lease him.


Thanks, Jordan, for being so wonderfully supportive of my crazy hobby!

3 comments:

RyRy said...

yay! I'm excited for you! Post some pics when you can.

Meags said...

yay for horses!!!!!!! how's scout doing by the way...?

Laurie said...

I'm glad you are able to spend some time doing something you enjoy so much!