Thursday, June 17, 2010

The End of an Era

Today is my last day at LDS Living magazine.

I started working there with an unpaid internship in October 2008. I lasted until June 2010. That's a long time!

I feel like I've learned a lot from working here. My writing skills have become more polished, I've learned how to work in an office instead of a barn, I've made relationship with people I've worked with, I learned how to network, and I learned how to talk on the phone.

Yes, I didn't learn to talk on the phone until I was 22. I admit it. When I got the job I had no idea that it involved my worst fear (other than snakes)--calling, and then talking to, people on the phone. It was terrifying. I remember I had to really psyche myself up for my first interview. It was with a 16-year-old Eagle Scout. Yes, I know I'm pathetic.

But fifty or so interviews later, I feel like I've come out of this a (better? more talented? possibly more *gasp* mature?) person. I'm going to miss the first in the office, and even though I've complained about staring at the computer for hours a day, I know I'm going to miss it. After all, seeing your own writing in a magazine (even if only 500,000 subscribe to it) is indeed a thrill.

So goodbye, LDS Living. I will, honestly, miss you.

4 comments:

RyRy said...

Well done!
I'm glad you've enjoyed your time and congrats on getting over your phone-talking fear. It's more common than you think! ;p

Laurie said...

I was in BYU bookstore today, and saw the latest issue of LDS Living, and noticed some of your articles. I haven't gotten my May/June issue yet, hopefully it will come soon!!!!

Meags said...

What an experience! Congratulations. =) P.S. When do you guys head out for Georgia--we seriously need to all get together before you guys leave. And it was so good seeing you and Jordan at the movie! =D

Laura said...

Awesome job J! So proud. I have loved sharing our first desk, real job together! I will miss you :)