Saturday, May 10, 2014

Goodbye, Gallbladder!

A couple weeks ago, Logan had just woken up from his afternoon nap. He was chilling on the floor eating his bottle while I finished something on the embroidery machine. I started to feel like I was having some heartburn (a common occurrence since I'd gotten pregnant) so I took some Tums and figured it would go away in a bit.

But no, it got WAY worse. My abdomen got really tight and I felt like I couldn't breathe. I called Jordan and told him to come home NOW (he was about an hour away). It felt just like when this happened last year when I was pregnant. I'll spare you the details, but I was in a lot of pain and couldn't get off the floor and Logan was (fortunately) being very good and just hanging out playing while I writhed in pain. The pain slowed down after about an hour (right when Jordan got home).

That night I had another attack that lasted a couple hours. I was hesitant to go into the doctor since they told me last year it was just acid reflux, but we figured it was probably better to figure out what it was now (while we have good insurance with Jordan's job) just in case it was something else.

So I went in the next morning and they immediately decided to do an ultrasound on my gallbladder. As soon as they put it up on the screen I could see there were stones, and I didn't even know what I was looking at. There were tons of them, and several were quite big. I asked the tech, "So what do they do for that?" I figured I would just take some medicine or something. She looked at me and was like, "They have to do surgery." What? Are you SERIOUS? So that was pretty lame. I am also pretty irked at my OBGYN for not checking for gallstones back when I was pregnant.

On Thursday (so a week and a half after I had my attack) we went into the hospital for my gallbladder removal. It's a laproscopic surgery, so it was a lot like the surgery I had to remove my endometriosis two years ago. We got a babysitter to watch Logan. They took me in to get my IV put in and then let Jordan come in to see me. I told him it was ridiculous that we've lived in Albany for 4 years and I've been to that hospital 4 times, and before we came here I'd never been to the hospital for anything.



They took me back into the pre-op and Jordan and I had to say goodbye. I hate being put under; there's just something weird about letting someone put you to sleep and not knowing for sure that you are going to wake up. They make you sign that waver that says you could die, and that always freaks me out.

Anyway, I felt a lot more calm this time around than my last surgery, though, since I'd already been put under once. They started my drip, I got a bit dizzy, they wheeled me into the operating room, and I fell asleep. The next thing I knew I was very sore and waking up. I couldn't see very well at first (which was nerve wracking) but then my vision came back and they took me into post op. It took two hours for them to let us leave because I got really nauseated.

When we got home I totally crashed and slept for about 14 hours, waking only to take my pain killers. Yesterday I didn't feel too bad and walked around a lot and even picked up (the house was getting trashed) but today I am feeling the consequences, so I haven't been up much today. Hopefully I improve quickly because I HATE being stuck in bed. There's just too much to do! Fortunately this has given me the opportunity to start planning Logan's birthday party (it's only a month and a half away!) and I'm hoping to work on my blog book too.

Thanks for all the love and prayers! I sure feel them!

1 comment:

Meags said...

Hope the recovery is as smooth and swift as possible! XOXO