Now my idea of interviewing includes company info sessions. Researching companies. Networking with people already in companies. Going to job conferences out of state. Applying for jobs. Getting an interview. Networking with more people at said company. Researching companies to discover what key words they expect you to use in an interview. Interviewing over the phone. Waiting. Interviewing in person (usually in another state). Asking questions about companies that you already knew the answers to. Waiting. Hearing back.
It's all a lot of hard work and I could honestly never do it. I mean, have you met me? Have I ever voluntarily called someone? Especially someone I randomly found on LinkedIn because they got an MBA at BYU 5 years ago and are now working at Whirlpool/Intel/AT&T? I would never do that! Let's face it, if something happened to Jordan, I would end up working at McDonalds.
For the last month (well longer than that, but insane in October), Jordan has been working like crazy to get some good job offers. He'd contacted dozens of people about talking about his target companies. For the past month, he's had about three calls with people per week, and the last couple weeks its probably been more. He asked people who worked at these companies to pretend to interview him and then they would review his answers.
AT&T wanted to fly him out for his interview on November 5&6, but instead of a typical interview, they wanted him to come prepared with a presentation about a strategy he had for AT&T (I can't remember the prompt but it was super broad). He worked until midnight for the last two weeks trying to prepare that while also going to Michigan for Whirlpool (October 29&30) and his interview with Intel (November 4). He finished his presentation super late after getting home from his Intel interview, presented it to me twice (I thought it was really good!), and then left the next morning for his interview with AT&T.
The whole past two weeks I've just been trying to smile, be super happy and cheerful, keep the house clean, and dinner on the table (even though he rarely made it for dinner, at least he could take it for leftovers the next day). I figured he didn't need a cranky wife to add to the stress of the interviews that will decide our lives for the next few years.
BUT IT'S ALL OVER NOW.
We made it! We survived. I'm incredibly proud of Jordan. He has received an offer from Intel and Whirlpool, and we're waiting to hear back from AT&T. Jordan is such a stud.
We're still not sure where we're going. Jordan's been talking about Intel for years. I remember sitting around our firepit in Georgia and him talking to me about how much he wants to work there. So I wouldn't be surprised if that's where we go. Honestly all of the offers we have are amazing opportunities. We could toss them all in a hat and draw one out and be super happy with where we went, I'm sure.
November 14th is our deadline to make a choice. That's when our offer from Whirlpool expires, so we need to feel good about our choice before then. I'm so excited to start this new chapter of our lives...in 7 months. Also I'm so excited to have our normal lives back and to enjoy MBA life until graduation!

2 comments:
YAY! So excited for you guys! I'm glad you have a light at the end of the tunnel. Can't wait to hear where you'll end up.
I'm so happy for you and Jordan! I'm a very proud mom-in-law! Enjoy the remainder of your MBA days! Love to all of you!
Post a Comment