Last Wednesday was Logan's first swimming lesson.
Let me give you some background on Logan's feeling about water. He really likes to swim with his floatie (he uses a puddle jumper), but he really hates getting his face wet. Like even though I've been washing his hair every day for three years, he still cries and screams like crazy when I get ready to start washing it. The anticipation of the water over his head makes him so scared.
Logan and I did a mommy and me swim class a couple years ago, and when the teacher would have me try to dunk him he would literally cry for the rest of class and never calm down. Eventually I stopped dunking him because it was such an awful experience.
Needless to say, this made me nervous about putting him in swim lessons. But swimming lessons are essential, especially in Arizona where everyone has a pool. So I really wanted him swimming before he turned four. I asked around and everyone said that EVO swim school was the way to go. But everyone said they would MAKE him put his head underwater. I knew that was going to scare him, but I also knew that he had to learn! So I signed him up and I started to get really anxious about it, and so did Logan. I would try to play it up and say, "You get to start swim lessons! Isn't that so exciting!" And Logan would say, "I don't want to go. Don't make me!" I even tried bribing him with
donuts and I made him a Catboy towel. He was still worried.
The day before his swim lesson, he said he was still nervous. I asked him if he would like Jordan to give him a blessing so he would be calm and he said yes. So Wednesday morning before class, Jordan gave Logan a sweet blessing, saying that he would feel comforted and not scared and that his teacher would know how to help him not be afraid. It was a wonderful experience. After that, Logan got ready and we went over to the pool. He ran right into the pool room without a single look back, and he did so wonderful during his lesson. His teacher, John, dunked him several times (calmly and nicely, they didn't just toss him in the pool) and Logan didn't even cry. He was a little concerned about it but no tears! His teacher told me that by the end of the lesson Logan was putting his face in the water by himself, which to me was almost a miracle. Logan kept saying, "That was so fun!" after the lesson.
Afterwards, I asked him if he thought Daddy's blessing had helped him. He said, "Yes! I felt good and not scared." It's wonderful to know that Heavenly Father cares about this little boy to send the spirit to calm him when he is scared, even for such a small thing like a swim lesson.

3 comments:
I love this! What a sweet experience for everyone. I wouldn't think to ask Heidi if she wanted a blessing but what a great thing for them to experience at such a young age. And go Logan :)
Logan's swim lesson miracle brings tears to my eyes. I'm so thankful for Logan and for a Heavenly Father who loves us all. ❤️
That was so SMART to give him a blessing. I too love that Heavenly Father cares about our sweet little guy.
Post a Comment