Friday, March 6, 2009

Joining the Work Force


So, I had the best day on Wednesday! LDS Living magazine offered me a part-time job after graduation. I was sure that they wouldn't hire me; after all, they are a small company and can recruit as many unpaid interns as they want (they have 5 right now!). But Jamie, the managing editor, came to me and told me that one of their employees is leaving and she already talked to the big boss about hiring me because she was so pleased with my work. I am so happy! With this crazy economy, I was sure I would end up working at Target. I'm so blessed to be getting into publishing for real!

Also, the next day I got called about interviewing for a contract editing position up in Salt Lake City. That job is only 30 hours a week or so, so I'm sure I could do that and work for the magazine. I'm terrified, though. I've never had a real interview! Even if I mess up, though, I'm sure it will be a good experience. Practice makes perfect, after all!


PS: On a random sidenote, I would just like to mention the ridiculousness of spending $51.30 for a graduation cap and gown. Hello, the thing is ugly and I will never wear it again. Renting is not an option, so it was either pay up or don't walk. After 4 years of hard work plus thousands of dollars of tuition money, don't you think they could make graduating a little less expensive? Grrrrr.

2 comments:

RyRy said...

James,
Congratulations! That is so wonderful- I'm very excited for you! Now you're gonna be a "professional" woman with a grown up job!!
yay!

Meags said...

yay for jobs!!! good luck with everything!