Saturday, August 27, 2011

Richer in some ways, poorer in others

Okay! We finally got into our house last Wednesday (August 17) after much fighting, kicking, and screaming with our lender. Basically everything that went wrong did, and after about 5 hours in the attorney's office and me bursting into tears because our bank wouldn't give us our money because we don't live in Massachusetts, we were finally able to get into our house.

And since we are in the house, we are stranded without internet, which is why I haven't blogged. Sorry, dear readers. I have commandeered (I'm not sure if I spelled that right) Jordan's work computer and am typing out a quick message.

Living in the house is great. We love everything about it. Especially the bathtub! Okay, Jordan and Lexi don't really care about the bathtub. But I think it is AWESOME (expect an Ode to a Bathtub post later). It's taken us a while to get settled in but now we feel like it's our house. I've even hung a couple things on the walls! Hurrah.

Today we went to Lowe's and spent more money then we've ever spent in one go (other than buying cars and the house, of course). Heavens. Because we live on a one acre lot, we decided to get a riding lawn mower so Jordan wouldn't have to devote an entire day to our huge lawn (which is basically the entire acre). So we bought that. And we have to put up a fence, so we bought all the supplies. And since the post office was kind enough to give us a 10% off our entire purchase coupon since we moved, we decided to pick up pavers for the new firepit Jordan wants to build, too.

Don't worry, we aren't going into debt to pay for all this. It was just kind of shocking to see the amount on the cash register.

Oh, I forgot to tell you all that I broke my camera. I think a bunch of sand got into it at Bear Lake (sad) so we've ordered a new one from Amazon and it's on its way. For now you'll have to get by with crappy pictures from my crappy cell phone.

Back to Lowes. So we decided we were going to buy all this stuff and then realized that we didn't have a way to get it home, and we didn't want to pay Lowes $160 to move our stuff out to our house, so we called up Josh the Elder's Quorum president (poor guy) and he was super nice to make a couple of trips with our stuff.


I think this may exceed the weight limit for this truck.

Fortunately, all our stuff made it okay and nothing fell out of the truck. I would have been pressuring Jordan to buy a truck but after plopping down a bunch of money on stuff today I just couldn't make it seem worth it. Someday.

Anyway...Jordan is outside mowing the lawn right now (thank goodness, because it got SUPER high). Here he is on our lawnmower, which I have named The Firetruck, or Little Red Riding Mower.



And here are his pavers. You can't tell how cool they are, but they are definitely cool. I made sure that all of them were pretty (my daddy taught me how to pick out rocks).


Anyway, it was a pretty good day, even if everything took us forever (I think we got to Lowes at ten this morning and got home at three or so?). And then the mower wouldn't start but our nice neighbor across the street helped us charge the battery, and his cute four-year-old daughter came along with him and she and Lexi had a great time running around together. She actually wore Lexi out, which was impressive. I told her she can come play with Lexi any time so that I can take a break!

If anyone comes to visit us soon, we guarantee a recently mowed lawn, a soon-to-be-built fire pit, and lots and lots of paint splotches on the family room and music room's walls. We are that awesome.

3 comments:

Robert and Emily C. said...

Jamie... How wonderful you finally are in. Although, kind of makes me anxious in buying a house. The view behind the pavers is GORGEOUS, is that your backyard? Wow. So jealous right now. I have to completely agree also with an Ode to a Bathtub. I have been living without one for almost three years! Not to be greedy or anything but I WANT MORE POSTS OF THE HOUSE. Come on Amazon and internet :)

Marcie said...

You are that awesome! I agree with Emily, I want lots more pictures--soon! I love Little Red Riding Mower, but I am most excited about the fire pit! I'm wondering if it took you as long to pick out your rocks as it does Dad. I've spent many an hour looking at rocks with him! How I wish I were there to see your darling house! Love you!

Laurie said...

I was SO EXCITED to see that you had updated your blog!!!!! I LOVE the picture of Jordan on the new ride on mower, so cute! Can't wait to see what color you decide to paint. Have fun with that darling new house.