Monday, September 5, 2011

200th Post--Building a Fence is Fun to Do (kind of)

First of all, this is my 200th post! Wow! I can't believe I've become such a steady blogger. I actually find myself yearning for blogging when I haven't done it in a while...aren't you lucky? Here's to a hundred more posts to come! *party*

Anyway...

It's Labor Day weekend, and we spent it doing the thing people SHOULD do for Labor day...LABORING. We have a couple of friends who were nice enough to help us put up our fence, so they labored along with us.

The 3 Musketeers--Steve, Derek, and Jordan

On Saturday the boys dug all the holes and put all the fence posts up. I went around that evening and put up the top rail (you can kind of see it in the picture below).


Jordan got a FREE little dump cart with his lawn mower (don't you love free things?). He hadn't put his together yet on Saturday, but Derek got the same mower so he brought his dump cart over. It was very helpful in moving concrete, poles, and picking up garbage.

You know you wish you had one.

To thank the boys for their hard work, I barbecued cheeseburgers for lunch along with potato chips, watermelon, and root beer. They sure deserved it!



Sunday, of course, is the day of rest, so we didn't do anything with the fence. But bright and early Monday morning we were back at work. I put all the hardware on the fence posts while Jordan used the rented auger (sp?) to dig out our new fire pit.

Lexi was really enthusiastic about all the digging we were doing.

Jordan and the finished fire pit.

"Could this possibly be a really big food bowl for ME?"
Once we ran all around Leesburg borrowing various tools from nice people in the ward, we got down to business on our fence. Steve was nice enough to come over and help us and then Jaylene brought the Jeep over to help us pull the fence tight. They are so AWESOME!

Their daughter Lydia didn't help so much but she sure is cute!
Here is the very first section of fence that we finished:


Here Jordan and Steve are pulling the fence tight with the Jeep:


All done! Those boys are hard workers.


I helped a bit too...I went around and put on the little ties after they had pulled the fence. And I held the fence up. Basically I did all the little jobs and tomorrow I will put up the gate and then get to pick up everything that is all over the yard from this crazy project. Good thing I have a little cart to pull behind the mower!



It was pretty much a miracle that we got the fence done today. There was supposed to be thunderstorms all day but they managed to hold off until the minute we were done. We got a little wet (you can see that in my picture and Lydia's picture) from a bit of rain but it was actually quite nice because it wasn't so hot and there weren't any gnats at all. But it was kind of amazing--the minute we were done it just started pouring buckets of rain. I'm so so grateful that we were able to get this done today, and so grateful for the friends that helped us!

Unfortunately, Lexi was so excited about being outside and having a fence that she showed us that she really could jump the 4 foot fence if she wanted...she exuberantly leaped into the air right next to the fence and was completely level with it. Uh-oh!

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Wooo hoooo!!!! So excited that you got it done, you are right, it is a miracle, and a well deserved one after all you went through to get in your house. Enjoy!!! I really hope Lexi doesn't try to jump it!

Robynn said...

I so enjoyed your 200th Post and I LOVED watching you build a fence with at least 200 posts! WOWSERS! You guys are amazing! Well done! SLY Auntie Rob

Kathy said...

Yeah! So glad you got the fence up. Hopefully Lexi will stay in it! What hard workers you guys are and thank goodness for great friends. I love reading your blog. Keep on blogging!

Marcie said...

You are the cutest blogger! Your fence looks great! Lexi is one lucky pup! Love you!