Thursday, September 15, 2011

Stake Dance Nostalgia

Sometimes I wish I could go back to high school. Not all the time. I love my life. But last night I was driving to Mutual and listening to a 90s music station, and it brought me back to stake dances.

After my boyfriend and I broke up the beginning of my senior year of high school, the "Mormon Table" adopted me into their little group. Before that I'd hung out with my boyfriend's friends, and before that other friends I'd since grown apart from, and I found myself really alone after we split. I will forever be grateful for Greg, Tanner, Ivan, Jesse, Joey, Catherine, and the other LDS kids who dragged me to their table, literally crying, and convinced me to play BS and whatever other card game (I don't even remember now) while munching on those delicious cookies from the EGHS cafeteria. Those friends were a true blessing in my life, and we ended up having the most fun together at stake dances.

When I turned 14, I was thrilled to go to a dance, but I quickly learned that dances were lame unless you had a bunch of friends. Otherwise, you wouldn't have anyone to dance with. Since most of my friends weren't LDS, I would either drag my non-LDS friends along (which happend quite often) or I just wouldn't go. But my senior year, tagging along with the Mormon Table made all the difference.

Bouncing along to Swing, Swing, Sk8er Boi, and Ice, Ice, Baby (to which we made up our own "White Boy" dance), I had some of the most fun Saturday nights of my life. I'm not a very good dancer but there was just something so fun about getting out there and moving to the music, knowing that I had friends that didn't care if I was making a total fool of myself.

The Mormon Table--Thanksgiving Football game 2004
(pretty much the only picture from HS I have on my computer)

I wish they had dances for us old married folk. Jordan probably wouldn't dance with me anyway, but oh well.

Here's a list of some of the common stake dance songs. Bring back any memories?

Blue (Da Ba Dee) – Eiffel 65
Cotton Eyed Joe – Rednex
Man! I Feel Like a Woman – Shania Twain
Collide – Howie Day
Ocean Avenue – Yellowcard
The Middle – Jimmy Eat World
Hero – Enrique Iglesias
Kryptonite – 3 Doors Down
Drops of Jupiter – Train
Higher – Creed
I’m a Believer – Smash Mouth
Bailamos – Enrique Iglesias
Macarena – Los Del Rio
Chicken Dance – ???
Sandstorm – Darude
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Bbu_prx…
YMCA – Village People
Cha Cha Slide – DJ Casper
Hampster Dance – Hampton the Hampster
Amazed – Lonestar
A Thousand Miles – Vanessa Carlton
Love Shack--B-52s
Tootsie Roll -- 69 Boys
Breathe – Faith Hill
A Whole New World--from Aladdin

3 comments:

Emily said...

Oh that's funny! I had forgotten about a bunch of those songs. Glad you made such good friends!

Marcie said...

Those were tumultuous, happy times! I remember them well from a mom's perspective! What a cute picture of that wonderful group of kids!

RyRy said...

oy. Is the music the same at all stake dances? haha.