I was a junior at BYU living in Glenwood, again. Goo. I was so tired of Glenwood by that point. We'd just started winter semester, and I'd come back to BYU emotionally drained by sending yet another missionary out. I decided to go to the ward FHE since it was a getting-to-know-you activity and I felt like I didn't know anyone in the ward. We split into two groups and my group played ooga booga boo.
To play ooga booga boo, you need a big group of people to stand in a circle and look at the ground. Everyone says "ooga, ooga, booga, boo!" and on "boo" you look up. If you are making eye contact with somebody, you go off and talk to them (usually you just loose, but this was a getting-to-know-you activity). Anyway, after a few rounds, a couple of really tall guys caught my eye and I ended up making eye contact with a cute guy (who was not quite as tall as his buddy, Calmann, who is ridiculously tall...my roommate ended up marrying him, but that's not this story). So we tromped off to talk and I learned that his name was Jordan and he was from Taylorsville, Utah (which made me really bummed because I thought he was cute and I had convinced myself I wasn't going to marry someone from Utah). Anyway, he made me laugh and I later wrote about how cute he was in my journal. I thought he was new in the ward because I swear I'd never seen him before but he assured me he'd been around the whole year and he knew who I was (I was really embarrassed about that).
Soooo the next Sunday at ward prayer, Jordan showed up and I was excited because I still thought he was cute (Utah-ness aside). I found out that he never went to ward prayer because he was always at his family dinners up in SLC, which would partly explain why I'd never seen him before. So we played SCUM with all the other SCUM players and had a great time and talked and flirted and stuff.
On Tuesday (I think? Maybe it was Monday) he called and asked me on a date, except he pretended like he didn't really want to. Our conversation went like this:
Me: Hello?
Him: "Um, hi? Jamie? This is Jordan. From your ward?
Me (excited): Oh! Hi! How are you?
Him: Oh, good. Hey, I was just wondering if you were free Thursday?
Me (more excited): Yeah! I don't have any plans. What's up?
Him: Well, I promised my friend that I would set him up with my cousin and he wants to do a double date. So I need someone to come with me.
Me (slightly disappointed that he only asked out of necessity): Oh. Um, yeah, I can go.
Him: Okay, see you Thursday!
I had completely forgotten what Jordan looked like by Thursday and was totally worried that I was going on a date with a weirdo (I'm not quite sure why, I just remember thinking that. I'd had a lot of bad dates that year.). Anyway, when he came to the door I remember holding my breath and then when I saw him letting it out. Oh yeah, now I remember why I said yes. He's cuuuute.
We had dinner at Pier 49 Pizza and then went to Comedy Sportz with cousin and friend. Then we went to someone's apartment...I think it must have been Lyndi's (the cousin) and played games. When Jordan dropped me off we shared an awkward side-hug and I said, "Well, we should do this again sometime!" And Jordan said, "Done."
That's all. Done. Kind of a weird way to end a date, but whatever.
That Saturday (I think?) we went skiing/snowboarding together and had a great time and hung out in the hot tub after and then watched Catch Me If You Can. I remember Laurie called him during the movie and asked him if he had a good time skiing and I thought it was cute that he called her Mommy and I liked that he said "I love you" before he hung up.
And then the Thursday after that we went to a country dance and made fried chicken.
![]() |
| January 2008 |
We held hands for the first time too. *blush*
And that's the end of our meeting and beginning-dating story, but the beginning of the best relationship ever!
I love you, Jordan!

5 comments:
I'm so glad you fell in love with our Jordan. We are so lucky to have you in our family. SLY Auntie Rob
I'll never forget you telling me about that "cute" boy you met at FHE. So thankful that he has become "our" Jordan!"
how sweet! that's such a great idea to have a record of how you met. happy 3 years! XOXO
I LOVED the story of how you first met Jordan, and am so glad to have 2 Jamie Clines in our family!!!
Very cute. I remember you telling me about him when you first met. Funny to see how it all worked out now!
Congrats on another anniversary!
So happy for you.
love,
Ry
Post a Comment