Tuesday, May 12, 2015

First Few Hours in Michigan

Our flight to Michigan was...eventful, to say the least. I had packed my diaper bag as well as I could with snacks and toys and movies but I was concerned about how a three hour/1.5 hour flight with a big toddler was going to go. 

As soon as we got on the plane the guy next to me and the two ladies in front of me started glaring at us. The lady right in front of me called the stewardess over to ask if she could move (there was only one... There was an empty seat behind me so the nice couple asked the guy sitting next to me if he wanted to move back with them so Logan would have more room (that was really nice). The guy was like, yes, but only if I can have the aisle (he was sitting in the middle in my row). Anyway he gets on the phone and starts talking really loud about how there are babies everywhere on the plane and he always sits by the babies and babies are so awful and he's surrounded by babies. There was a baby behind him and she was being so good. She made like three squeaks the whole time. Good grief. 

Anyway for the first hour and a half Logan just sat in the extra seat perfectly and watched a movie. Then he started getting squirmy so we were playing games and coloring and doing stickers. The two ladies in front had their seat backs down so we had almost no space, and Logan was coloring on my lap, and the lady in front turns around and goes "He is kicking my seat. You need to move him. Its bothering me and making my flight unpleasant." I had been trying to keep Logan's feet away but there was just no room! 

He wouldn't keep still on the seat next to me anymore (wanted to go out in the aisle), so for the last half hour I had to keep trying to pin down his feet and arms (he kept opening and shutting the window which was also annoying the lady) so he screamed which made the flight unpleasant for everyone. Yay. 

Our flight had left late and I had originally had a 40 minute layover which is already short, but now it was a 20 minute layover. I didn't think there was any way we were going go make it. As soon as we were off our plane I picked up Logan and my bags and ran, and of course the other flight was at the complete other end of the airport. I really wished I had a stroller. I was wheezing and crying because I wasn't sure what I was going to do if I was stuck in Minneapolis for several hours. I finally got to my gate right when it was supposed to leave but they'd held the plane! I was so happy I started crying more. All the staff was really nice. It was a pretty empty flight and the steward had cleared a row so Logan and I would have a row to ourselves. He also had water waiting for me. Logan fell asleep as soon as we took off and slept almost the whole flight. So the trip ended well, and Logan did great, but it was really stressful and I wish people would be more understanding. I was trying my hardest to keep Logan from bothering anyone. I've flown several times and usually people just tell me how good he is (and a couple people told me that this time too) but I just got surrounded by a few jerks! 

We were very happy to see Jordan when we finally met up at the baggage claim, and Logan was thrilled to see his toys when we got to the apartment. He didn't want to go to bed, but by that time it was almost midnight EST and Jordan was ready to sleep. Right before we went to bed I was looking at the locks on the bathroom door and told Jordan it would be really easy for Logan to lock himself in the bathroom and we needed to get a little screwdriver just in case.

The next morning, Logan woke up at 8:30 EST (which sounds great but since it was 5:30 Cali time it really wasn't). I had been up since 6 since I am unable to go back to sleep after Jordan's alarm went off and he left for work. Logan and I had breakfast and then we got to work unpacking the house. I was making the bed when Logan walked down the hall, went into the bathroom, and shut the door. I followed him, tried to turn the doorknob and...I couldn't. Logan had somehow locked the door immediately after going in. Logan started saying, "Mama? Mama? Help? Mama?" and it was so sad! I just felt horrible that I couldn't do anything. I kept telling him it was going to be okay as I was trying to find the number for maintenance or find something to open the door with. I couldn't find the number anywhere, so I googled it and got it, but the office wasn't open until 10 and they had an emergency number but because my phone screen is broken I couldn't write down the number correctly and I didn't have any pen or paper because we just moved in and didn't have anything out. Anyway I finally got the number for maintenance after Logan had been in the bathroom for 15 minutes. I left a message and they called back and said they'd be over soon. So Logan was in the bathroom for 20 minutes. Poor kid. He'd started crying while he was in there and I just felt terrible. He was fine though. Thank goodness the bathroom was empty and had no cleaners, razors, soap, or anything else he could have gotten into. Tender mercy!

Those were our first 12 hours in Michigan. If I haven't mentioned it on the blog yet, we are in Clinton Township (close to Detroit) for Jordan to do an internship with GM for the summer. He's finished his first week and really enjoys it so far. So yay! Here's to a summer away!

5 comments:

Dennis and Bonnie Danielson said...

Oh my word that's horrible! It can only get better from here on!

Elycia said...

Oh man, sorry you got stuck by losers for your flight :( Kids have to travel, too, so those jerks just need to get over it! I'm glad the next one was better, though :)

RyRy said...

Wow!! What an adventure... I hope the rest of the summer goes smoothly!

Deise Clements said...

Poor girl! I'm sorry you and Logan had such stressful experiences!! Hopefully the rest of the summer is much better. Hugs!

Laurie said...

It can only get better from here on out!!! Enjoy your adventure.