Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My thoughts about air conditioning

I've been a bit worried about our car lately. I'm sure most of you heard the story of traveling to California at Christmas, (our Camry gave out on us halfway between SLC and SacTown, we had it fixed by some morons in Winnemucca, and the car broke down again as we were leaving my parents' house) and needless to say, I am a bit apprehensive about driving it to Tahoe this weekend.

Plus, our air conditioner hasn't worked for months. Nevada in July + no air conditioning = miserable drive.


So as Jordan got set to take our car in to his uncle Jeff (who is a brilliant mechanic and doesn't overcharge us or lie to us, unlike most auto shops), I was pondering how much I'd be willing to pay to get the AC fixed. It was kind of like an abstract math problem: 16 hours of air-conditioned traveling is equal to working ______ hours at $10 per hour.


I thought, $80 wouldn't be bad. I could work a day for relief from the heat. How about $150? Maybe. It is extremely hot in Nevada. $200...was starting to push it. After all, I'm willing to suffer through a lot to see my family. Probably wouldn't pay $200, and I certainly wouldn't go any higher.


As I was sitting in my chair at LDS Living, continuing to contemplate this, I got a call from Jordan.

"We have AC!" He joyfully exclaimed.

"Uhh...how much did that cost?" I asked, a little concerned.

"One hundred dollars."

"Oh."

"Just kidding. It was free."

"What!"

"Yeah. Jeff popped the hood and said, 'Oh. Your AC isn't plugged in.'"

Sometimes, it's nice to have worried for nothing.

4 comments:

Meags said...

LOL!!!! LOL!!!! how sad...! =P glad to know its working!!! have a great vacation!!! XOXO

Laura said...

Hahaha, love this post. It is by far my favorite yet. Who unplugged the AC? That sounds like a mean prank. I bet those sketch Winnemucca peeps did it.

RyRy said...

Hysterical. Fabulous post my darling, by far a favorite! I'm so glad it worked out! Life if funny sometimes isn't it? :)
Have fun in Tahoe!

Pierce and Stacy said...

That's great. At least it was free. We love having a family mechanic!!! And we finally found your blog. We're adding it to ours immediately!