I've been continuing along my sinful ways and watching Secret Life, but I think I'm going to give it up. I'm almost done with the first season and I'm really upset with the show. The only person who thinks that adoption is the way to go is the mom, and when she does convince the pregnant 15-year-old to place it with a loving family, everyone freaks out. And then convinces her not to.
This last episode I watched, all the high school kids are like, "Keep the baby! Keep the baby! Keep the baby! We'll help you take care of it! You know you want to keep the baby!" Her sister says, "Keep the baby!" Her dad says, "Keep the baby!" The local pastor says, "Keep the baby!" Everyone says, "If you don't keep the baby, he will never forgive you when he's older. He'll think you didn't love him."
Are there really that many people out there against adoption?
I'm not saying that a 15-year-old can't raise a child. I'm sure it happens all the time. And I'm sure some of those girls are good mothers. But I feel like if you land in the situation that gets you pregnant young and out of wedlock, you owe it to that baby to give it a loving, stable family that can take care of it. No matter how much you WANT to keep the baby.
As an adoptee that grew up in a loving, stable family with a father and mother who wanted children more than anything and yet couldn't have them biologically, I don't need to forgive my birth parents for placing me. In fact, every single day I thank my Heavenly Father for them and what they did. I'm sure it was so, so hard to be pregnant so young and make that very adult decision. When I die, I want to run up to find them in heaven and give them a huge hug and say, "Thank you, thank you. You made the right choice."
Monday, June 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I agree with you 100% and am also grateful that you were raised by such amazing parents. They did a great job!
Thank heavens some people know how great adoption can be and make that decision and follow through! I watched that show the first season as well but quit when she kept the baby...I was too disappointed to keep supporting that decision, it would have been so awesome if they could have shown how wonderful adoption could be and how it would bless the lives of all involved.
Beautifully said.
Post a Comment