Thursday, March 15, 2012

Scroll Cake

I have long oogled those gorgeous wedding cakes with all the scrollwork. They are sooo pretty and if I could go back in time I would have probably incorporated scrolls onto my cake, although I did love the flowers...but I digress.

In January I decided that one of my new years resolutions was to learn to do scrollwork and hopefully become proficient.

Last night Jordan went to YM and I didn't have YW because we're doing something with the Relief Society tonight. It was so nice to have a Wednesday off. I still had red frosting left over from the New Beginnings cupcakes and I was craving cake, so I decided to try out my new tiered cake pans that Jordan had bought me for Valentine's Day.

I found some scrolls that I liked online and while the cakes baked and cooled I practiced on saran wrap. Don't they look so pretty?


I thought it was going to be so easy.


Here's the tiered cake before scrolling...



And here it is after.


It's about a million times harder to pipe on a vertical surface than a horizontal one. I tried to describe it to Mom in horse riding terms and we came up with, "It's like riding a perfect circle on an almost vertical mountain."

I think it turned out okay, but I'm going to need a lot more practice.



Yum yum yum.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

You just never cease to amaze me! That is so cute!