Saturday, January 23, 2010

Mother- and Daughter-in-Law Day!

I have the most awesome mother-in-law. Yes, I do.

Today she spent hours teaching me to make throw pillows for our new couches. No, I do not know how to sew. My mom is wonderful about many things, and she's amazing, but she HATES sewing. So I never learned how. I did, however, learn to write well, from her awesome author skills (new book coming out in February by the way!).

But anyway. Jordan and I decided we need some pillows for our leather couches. I saw this one that I loved at Walmart and picked it up:



However, it was $13! And four pillows that much is a little out of our price range. So I just bought the one pillow and Laurie and I took it with us to the fabric store for inspiration. We found some darling fabric on the clearance rack, picked it up, and headed back to her house for some sewing lessons!





Good thing she teaches sewing at junior high. I needed some help.

Here I am stuffing the pillows. No laughing at my glasses!



I'm sewing them shut now, concentrating VERY hard!



And here I am with the finished products! They look a bit brighter in the pictures than they actually do in real life, but they still look great. These aren't my couches, by the way, these are just modeled on Laurie's brown leather couches.



It was super fun and I'm glad I learned a new skill today, and I'm so happy my mother-in-law had the patience and time to teach me! Thanks, Laurie!

4 comments:

Laurie said...

You are such a great student, (and daughter in law) I loved our mother and daughter in law day! I wish my Jr. High students were as quick of learners as you are. Your pillows turned out GREAT!!!!

RyRy said...

That looks like fun!
I love the colors you picked- nice choice!

Robynn said...

I LOVE your pillows and your amazing sewing teacher. What fun! Thanks for sharing. Love, Auntie Rob

Dennis and Bonnie Danielson said...

Teaching daughter-in-laws to sew is one of the most fun things ever! What a darling girl and very cool pillows. Watch out Wal-mart you've got some serious competition.