Sunday, April 18, 2010

Courtney


I got my first horse when I was twelve years old. She was a 19 year old black (technically brown but looked pretty black) Thoroughbred mare that looked nothing like a Thoroughbred. She was THE favorite lesson horse where I took lessons, and we bought her and stole her away, which did not make the current trainer very happy.

Courtney always pinned her ears when you tightened the girth. She had a trick where she would bow if you stuck a carrot between her front legs. She also had this funny habit of picking up one of her front legs when she was just standing there.

We sold Courtney to my aunt when she was 21, since she was getting a bit too old to do jump as big as I wanted to. She has lived very happily in her pasture, not doing much. She's now 27. Which is really old for a horse.

Jordan and I went out and saw her yesterday because my aunt is moving to Minnesota and needs to find a different home for Courtney. I'm looking like crazy but no one really wants a horse who is 27. Totally understandable.

I hope we find a home for her. I loved (and love) that mare. I wish I had some pictures of her in her glory days, but we owned her back when no one had a digital camera (that WAS a long time ago) and so none of my millions of pictures are on the computer.

So wish us luck!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

She is still a beautiful horse! I sure hope you find her a good home.