Thursday, April 29, 2010

An Inspiring Story

I've recently become addicted to the Chronicle of the Horse Forum. It's an online site where horse people can talk to each other about horse stuff all the time! It's how I found Scout's home in Georgia. It's great.

But I digress...

I was searching through the "Favorite" posts and I found several that mentioned "The $700 Pony" such as "The $700 Pony Goes Christmas Shopping" and whatnot. My curiousity peaked, and it being late at night with nothing else to do, I started reading.

The posts were hilarious. The author sounded like a professional writer.

Here's how her first post started:

"Driving your trailer for a first look at a sale pony is a bad idea.

If you do this, AND are arguing with your husband all the way, "No, no, honey, I am just going to LOOK!" and he keeps asking why we have the trailer, you should consider therapy.

I bought the pony. I didn't even negotiate. Unless you consider insisting that they throw in the dry rotted bridle and the nylon halter "negotiation."

I brought the pony home to our 130 acre farm. The one with no fencing. Except the hot wire for the chickens. Oh, and no shelter, really, except the chicken coop.

I'm thinking maybe I should skip therapy and go straight to medication."

One of my favorite lines: "The pony is so, so, so green, but so, so patient with her weird, weird new life with the chickens."

I thought it was hilarious and proceeded to read all five of the $700 Pony posts to Jordan. He didn't appreciate it as much as I did (although he did laugh when I told him how the $700 Pony did not want to leave her new 100 chicken best friends to go trailer for a lesson).

The comments on the posts were all like, "You should write a book about this!" and I totally agreed. Her response was, "I could never write a book! But thanks!" She said she just wanted to tell someone about her adventures with $700 Pony so her husband wouldn't get sick of listening to her talk.

ANYWAY, I finally finished them and then I clicked on the poster's profile to see if she wrote any more posts, and it had a link that said "Chronicles of the $700 Pony," which I assumed was a blog or something. Turned out it was a link to Amazon, where I found this:


And this:


I think it is so great that this lady decided to take her talent, write a book, and get it published. For some reason I found this really inspiring. (Yes, Mom, I think you are inspiring, too.) The fact that she also has a horse AND takes care of her two little kids (both under the age of three when she bought said pony) is also inspiring.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Those look like fun books to read, I'll keep my eye out for them.

Marcie said...

This sounds so very cute. Are you going to get the books? Love you!