There's a quote that's something like, "Don't give up what you want tomorrow for what you want today." Sometimes doing that is really hard! Sometimes you really want the thing that is today.
I decided not to breed Mom's mare to the stallion.
Even though the baby would have been beautiful and talented, I decided not to do it.
Because I really want an Appaloosa. I don't really want a Friesian (the breed of the stallion). And when I get another horse, I should probably get the one I really want than one I don't want as much. Right?
I've always loved Appaloosas. Ever since I was ten! The first horse I ever jumped was an Appaloosa named Jackson and I just thought he was the best thing that ever happened to me. I am probably the only jumper rider in the world who likes them. Most English riders would rather die than ride a flashy Appy into the show ring. Solid horses are more "traditional" (read "boring") just like breeches, hunt coats, high collars, and all the other dumb traditions we English riders revere.
Jordan says they look like they've got a disease. I think they are darling.
And so, goodbye possible Friesian baby. It was fun dreaming about you for a week. But someday, who knows when, I will get my dream Appaloosa baby. Until then, I have my lovely Scout, who will be here in only 15 days.
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hi Sweetie,
I think you're right--that it's best not to breed Lily right now. Too bad we can't predict what we'd get if we bred her to an appaloosa. But the baby could turn out polka-dotted! Love you!
Post a Comment