Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Baby Beluga, in the deep blue sea

It's been a while since I've made cupcakes. Too long, I think. It's tough to make them with Lexi around. She loves to hang around me in the kitchen and thinks everything is fascinating...and tries to eat anything that drops on the floor. Unfortunately, this is not healthy for puppy.

But since Jordan was home and could adequetly distract Lexi, I decided to give the really cute whales in What's New, Cupcake a shot. They were as much of a pain as I thought they would be, but they did turn out pretty cute.

The first step was to build the whales out of Twinkies and cookies. Jordan shaped the fins because I kept breaking the cookies in my eagerness.


After freezing them for a couple of hours, I melted gray frosting and dipped them into it. I lost three whales who took a dive (ha ha) into the frosting...without their cupcakes. I hate that! The same thing happened when I made the ducks. And the partridge in the pear tree. *groan*

After they had dried, I swirled white, light blue, and dark blue frosting onto them to make waves. Jordan tried his hand as well. Here's his whale tail:


Here's one of my smiling whales:


Then I made the seagulls. When I looked through this cupcake book, I thought the seagulls were so incredibly cute. Jordan actually put the bodies together--these whales were a big project and I was starting to get burned out. I piped on the eyes and the beaks and the wings.


I think they turned out really cute! I definately wouldn't make them again unless my kid someday decided to do an ocean-themed birthday party, but they are darling and I was proud of myself for making them.


Oh, the cupcakes were blue velvet (red velvet, but blue instead). If anyone needs a fantastic red velvet recipe, check out this link. It's amazing! http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/recipe/red-velvet-cake

3 comments:

RyRy said...

So cute James.
What a good housewife you are! ;p

Simon Says said...

Waaaay cute! You rock! Love ya and miss ya Lani

Laurie said...

I hadn't checked your blog for a few days, and how fun to have 2 fun entries. Those cupcakes are so cute!!! I'll bet they were very tasty!