Sunday, September 19, 2010

The many ears of Lexi

When we first got Lexi, her ears were perfect. "Floppy," I called them. They were like little triangles hanging down from her head. This is a picture of Lexi and her sister (we chose between those two).


A couple days later, I noticed that one of the was doing something weird. It was back further from her head and didn't "perk" like the other one. I pointed this out to Jordan, calling them the "good" ear, and the "bad" ear. When this didn't go away, I looked up information on Australian Shepherd ears and found that there are many different types of Australian ears, even though one type is preferred over the others--the button ear, what I call the "floppy" ear. (This picture is a more recent example: Lexi's left ear is button, the right is rosed)


Lexi's other ear was "rosing," apparently. Rose ears are an "acceptable" ear set--but in my opinion it was kind of weird looking. I was really upset when her other ear started to rose about a week after the first one went. I wanted floppy ears! But that's how they've been ever since.


And when they were rosed, she would put them way back on walks and her ears would do this:


I did more research and I found out online that if you really, really wanted your Aussie to have button ears, you have the option of gluing them from 3 months to 6 months. I guess when puppies are teething, their ears are pliable. I ordered the glue, and the day before it arrived, both of Lexi's ears were going button. But Jordan and I are extremely shallow, and we weren't going to take any chances.


So now Lexi's ears are glued to her head. She scratched at them for a little while but it is super de duper glue and now she doesn't really seem to mind. Anyway, I just wanted to explain why her ears will look funny in pictures for the next few months. She looks so sad because the glue presses her "eyebrows" into a funny shape. She's not actually sad!


In three months, she'll be good to go. And then her ears can do more crazy stuff like this.

3 comments:

Laurie said...

She does look pretty sad, but I bet she'll be glad in 3 months when she has awesome ears! Will that glue work on babies ears??? I have seen some babies that have ears that stick out pretty far, they could use a little glue behind the ears.

Laura said...

Hahahahaha...Lexi is going to be such a hottie!

Unknown said...

I think Lexi is darling however her ears are! Now I'm thinking of Matt as a baby. Do you think we should have glued his ears? He likes his curly hair bushy to hide them!