Thursday, September 9, 2010

Too much of a good thing


This morning, as I ate my hotel breakfast, I realized that Jordan's job was taking all the fun out of staying in a hotel. It's kind of like eating too much fast food. If you eat fast food only once in a while, it's really great. But if you are eating it all the time, you start to get sick.

Anyway, I was reflecting this morning about how my family would only stay in a hotel if we were in Fort Bragg (near the ocean). We Gallachers only vacation in three places: Utah (where we stay with my grandparents), Tahoe (where we stay in the cabin), and Fort Bragg (where we stay in a Best Western hotel. Always.). Hotels were super exciting. You never knew exactly what your room was going to look like, so it was thrilling to check out the room for the first time. And to have cable television! Wow. And waffles for breakfast every morning! Amazing.

And for the last couple years, whenever Jordan and I would stay in a hotel, it was still kind of exciting (Even when we stayed at that gross casino in Winnemucca). There's something romantic about not being in your own room.

But this is my third week staying at a hotel, and Jordan's sixth, and it's kind of lost its charm. I've gotten so that I'm critical of the hotel rooms ("This one has a queen-sized bed! That's ridiculous. And how can it not have a bathtub?" I said to Jordan about this week's room.) Neither of us enjoy the hotel breakfasts like we used to...in fact, we eat cereal and bagels now instead of the eggs, bacon, sausage, and waffles.

And hotels are no longer romantic. This morning I was thinking, "Hmmm, what could we do for fun for our anniversary?" And my first thought was "Let's stay in a fancy hotel!" And my second thought was, "Ew. Not another hotel." That's just sad.

I hope someday to go back to my previous hotel belief, one of romance and wonder and yummy complimentary breakfasts. Someday.

No comments: