Wednesday, September 1, 2010

"Jordan, I'm scared."

That was the beginning of our conversation last night when I called him at 11:15 pm. Jordan is in Augusta, Georgia this week for work, and I decided to stay home because things needed to get done around here, Lexi isn't sure if she even has a permanent home, and I need to go to the doctor. Plus he is coming home Thursday, so it wasn't even long considering we spent twelve days away from each other a few weeks ago.

But I am a chicken. I have an extremely overactive imagination, and I'm a little afraid of the dark. Which is weird, because I can't fall asleep if there are lights on.

Anyway, it's scary to be in an apartment by yourself. I always imagine that someone is watching me take Lexi out to the bathroom every hour and knows that I basically live all alone. It couldn't be that hard to break into our apartment. And how would anyone know I was kidnapped? Jordan would just figure I was sleeping in or have my phone turned off. It would give the kidnappers hours to hide the evidence!

And Lexi, however great she is as a companion dog, is not a guard dog. She never barks. Ever. Which is great, but it would be nice to have a dog that barked at kidnappers instead of running up to them and licking them all over. Plus, she's in her crate at night since Jordan and I made the decision before we got a dog that she was not allowed on the bed unless dire circumstances occured (like there was a flood and we had to use the bed as a raft).

Anyway, with all these thoughts running through my head, I couldn't go to sleep. I kept hearing things and I was certain I was done for. So I called up my husband, certain he would say something like "You're fine. Go to sleep." But I wanted to talk to him anyway. You know, one last time before I got kidnapped.

But Jordan was extremely sweet about it. He listened to my garbled reasons for being scared, and he was just like "I'll stay on the phone with you. It's okay." And he told me that we'll just leave the phones connected while we slept. That's good, I thought. That way he can hear when the kidnappers come in and call 911.

But I finally fell asleep. I'm grateful for a husband who doesn't laugh at my fears. I love you, Jordan!

4 comments:

RyRy said...

*snicker snicker*

That is really sweet. ;p

Dennis and Bonnie Danielson said...

That is a rally sweet husband...and a super good imagination. I love the video of Lexi's tricks...sorry I forgot to comment on that post. What a cute dog and dog trainer! Good Job.

Laurie said...

I do have a sweet son, adorable daughter in law and an amazingly talented grand pup!!!

Marcie said...

What a sweet son-in-law I have--such a blessing! And I think my amazing daughter inherited her overactive imagination from me! Want to borrow Rusty? He would bark first, then lick the kidnappers to death.