Saturday, September 11, 2010

Doggie date night

On Thursday night, since that was our last day in Birmingham, we decided to put together a free date night. The couple of things I could come up with were a hike and a visit to the nearby greyhound racetrack.

First we went on our hike with our puppy. Birmingham is beautiful, and it was fun to take a short hike in the woods.


Here's Jordan and his puppy. It's really hard to take a not-blurry picture of her since she's always moving, but we did get a couple.


She's gotten a lot bigger since our last little "hike."

(Second day with Lexi, 7 weeks old)
(Last Thursday, 12 weeks old)
Here's me and puppy.


Taking a minute to smell the flowers.


She was really tired on the way back. Probably from all that tugging on the leash. Good thing she starts puppy class next week! Yay! Here she is under the dash in our car. We only let her sit there for very short car rides. All other times she is in her crate.


Afterwards, Jordan and I had dinner and then we headed off to the racetrack. It was a very interesting experience. I was one of two women there. There was this huge building with all these TVs showing different race from all over the US--Thorougbred racing, Standardbred racing, and greyhound racing. Everyone was placing their bets, and no one was even watching the live racing outside.

Here's the starting gate at the track.


The races ran every 12 minutes. Jordan and I would go inside and watch the TV that showed the hounds that would be racing, and then pick a winner so we could cheer and really get into it. I wanted to bet a dollar on my hound but I was too shy to go up to the ticket counter, and Jordan wouldn't enable me to break the rules. None of my dogs ever won, but one got second and one got third.

It was fun to watch them, but I was doing some research afterwards and found out that they treat the greyhounds quite terribly. Poor puppies. It was fun to watch but next time we'll have to go watch horseracing instead. Jordan has decided that he'd like to rescue a greyhound one day. Actually, today he told me he wanted to rescue a pair of them! Ha. Isn't he cute?


Here's a very, very short clip of one of the races we saw. I was selfish and watched the rest of them and didn't record. Sorry!



It was a very enjoyable night, and someday because of it, a greyhound might just find our way into our family! But not for a long time. Lexi is plenty for now. Heavens.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lexi is so much bigger--what a cutie! The grayhound race looked fascinating. How strange that only two women were there! Love you guys!

Laurie said...

What a fun date night you had! I love your new background for your blog, so cute. I wish you were here to teach me how to change mine. I think it is still the valentine one.