Thursday, February 10, 2011

Jolly Gijumshpunkel!


I'm not sure how many of you know about the holiday of Gijumshpunkel. It's awesome. And you should all celebrate it. When I was about 15, my good friend Starlene decided that it wasn't fair that purple didn't have a holiday. Green had a couple holidays, red had three holidays, blue had one, and so on...but she so loved purple and purple didn't get to be in a holiday except Easter, when it was pastel and not nearly as cool. So, anyway, Star created Gijumshpunkel, which is on February 5 and is the day of purple birth, and it's little representative is a purple dragon named Shpunkel.

This came up in playgroup (yes, I attend playgroup childless sometimes) since my friend Megan looooves purple. She dresses her daughter in purple everyday. Anyway, I mentioned that Gijumshpunkel was coming up and all my friends in Albany agreed to celebrate the day with me (I was glad, because I've worn purple and celebrated this day ever year since Star made it, but usually it's just me).

I was so excited that I decided to make a cake. NOT cupcakes. Wow. A real, honest to goodness, cake.

Here it is before frosting.


Here it is after frosting and piping.


Then I added some spikes made of melting chocolate.



Megan is so cute (she decorated with cute purpleness, as you can see in the first picture). We always have playgroup at her house and this is what was on the door when I showed up:


And most the kids were in purple. They aren't smiling, but that's what happens when there are lots of kids.


Jolly Gijumshpunkel to all! And may Shpunkel the purple dragon make all your wishes come true!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So happy that you had a jolly Gijumshpunkel! Perhaps someday we will celebrate it together! Love you!

Laurie said...

That is the cutest cake I have ever seen!!! Every time you do something, I think you can't possibly top it, and then you do. You are AMAZING!!!! What a fun group of friends you have.

Meags said...

haha! how fun. ps, you are getting SOO crafty friend--love it!