Saturday, February 25, 2012

A Crafty Saturday

Jordan left on Wednesday for two and a half weeks! It's super sad...I won't see him again until late late on March 9. Sigh.

Since he's gone I had a Saturday with nothing to do. Well, that's not true--I went to my friend's daughter's birthday party in the morning, but when I got home I was pretty bored. So I checked out Pinterest and decided to do a craft I'd been wanting to do for a while--recover a lamp shade!

Jordan and I bought a set of four lamps at Lowe's on clearence for $24 bucks for the set, but the lamps are really boring. I wanted to recover them and Jordan requested that I start with the tiny one in the gues bedroom so I wouldn't ruin the others if I messed up...ha ha.

Anyway, this was my starting point:



I used the tutorial found here.

I made a template out of wrapping paper and then cut out 6 of the side pieces. I had the fabric left over from an apron I made last year.



Then I cut strips of fabric and had to use hemming tape (I'd never used that before, so that was a little scary) to make the 6 strips to cover the edges.



I used spray tacky glue on the lamp shade and smoothed the fabric pieces over it. I decided I love spray tacky glue!



Then I used no-sew glue to cover the nasty edges with the fabric strips (do you like how this is a no-sew project? I do).


Then I used the glue to put ribbon along the top and the bottom. I think it turned out so cute!



Also my mother-in-law Laurie had showed me how to make these felt flowers last year and I had one in my craft box, so I stuck a cute button in the middle and added it to my lamp. Just a touch of cuteness!



I'm definately going to do this with the lamps in our rooms, although Jordan has requested that the lamp on his side not have a flower. *eye roll*

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Amazing!!! That turned out so stinkin cute, I am so impressed!!! Krista is going to love your new lamp shade, sooooooo fun.

Robynn said...

Jamie, I LOVE your sweet crafting skills and your lamp shade with flower are darling. I'm way impressed. I love that you got to visit Winter, the wonder dolphin. I love that movie and I love you! I can't wait to hear what you do next. SLY Auntie Rob

Marcie said...

Such a darling lamp shade. You do such fun cute things that brighten so many lives! I love you.