Friday, April 27, 2012

Do You Hear the People Sing?

For Christmas this year Jordan's friend Derek got his wife (my friend) Kristi tickets to Les Miserables in Atlanta and convinced Jordan to get tickets for me as well. It was a super awesome surprise because it is one of my very favorite shows!

We carpooled with our friends up to Atlanta and we stopped in Macon to eat at Texas Roadhouse. Jordan and I have been exercising and counting calories like crazy but we agreed to not let that affect our menu choices. We enjoyed a delicious appetizer as well as steak and country fried chicken. Mmmm.






After our dinner we continued our long drive to Atlanta and we got there early, but after our insane trip to the airport a few weeks ago we like to give ourselves a pretty big cushion.






The show was AMAZING. All my favorite characters were played by excellent actors/musicians. And the story is just so wonderful. A wonderful story of redemption. My favorite stanza from the musical:

My soul belongs to God, I know,
I made that promise long ago.
He gave me hope when hope was gone.
He gave me strength to journey on.

And also:

To love another person is to see the face of God.

Here is a clip from the 25th Anniversary Celebration of Les Miserables--it's my favorite song from the show, "One Day More." I get chills every time I hear it.



And...here's another one. I can't possibly mention Les Mis without putting up a video of Michael Ball, now I can? (Amira, this is for you). He was the original Marius and I don't think there's ever been another Marius as awesome as him. This is "A Little Fall of Rain," which is my second favorite song (and also completely heartbreaking).





Anyway, (now that you've skipped over my videos) we all loved the show. Jordan and Kristi were seeing it for the first time and they really enjoyed it. We meant to sleep on the way home (since we left Atlanta at like 11:15 so we got home at like 2:15) but we ended up just chatting. Waking up this morning and going to work was torture but we persevered and took a nap when we got home. Thank goodness I only had 8 kids in class today and they all behaved decently! A tender mercy for sure, as Meagan would say ;)

4 comments:

Pierce + Stacy Thiot said...

I love Les Miserables! I've been twice and it never fails to amaze me. What a fun trip!

Kathy said...

I love Les Miserables also! The story and music is incredible. Glad you enjoyed it.

Marcie said...

Les Mis is incredible. I'm so glad that Jordan was able to see it too! It's Dad's favorite.
Now we are all fans!

Meags said...

Awesome! Anytime I hear/see/listen to Les Mis, I think of my student teaching at Pleasant Grove HS... Good times, good times... :)