Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Aussie Birthday Dress

For my birthday this year, my amazing mom gave me a gift card to Hobby Lobby, which is like the best store ever. Since we are trying to save money, I've been banned from going there, but I got my gift card and I showed up at the store right when it opened on my birthday! I had seen a dress on Pinterest that I really wanted to copy. My version:



Original version:


I know, hers looks way better. And really I should have turned to the front so you could see the print better. I blame the photographer :) But I still really love my Aussie dress!

You can find the instructions here. 

I started with this dress from the clearance rack at Old Navy:



At Hobby Lobby I bought navy blue paint, some craft foam, and a gray ribbon. And EVERYTHING I bought was on sale! How great is that?

When I got home I made a stamp out of the craft foam and an Aussie silhouette I found online. then I mapped out where I wanted to print the Aussies on the dress with tape. Then I started stamping. It was kind of terrifying, even though the dress was only like $14, so it wasn't a huge deal if I messed up or hated it.

Can you even tell they are Aussie dogs?

Anyway, it took ALL DAY! You have to wait for the paint to completely dry before you do another section of the dress, so it was quite time consuming.

But I was really pleased with the result!

Happy Jamie
The dress was a little loose on me so I added the ribbon around the waist to give it more of a fitted look.

Yippee!
I wore it to our birthday dinner outing and then we danced on the patio afterwards because Jordan had decorated with lights and balloons. I didn't take pictures though...I'm such a slacker. I can't believe I'm 25!

2 comments:

Dennis and Bonnie Danielson said...

OK, you do the cutest, fun things. Love the stamp...totally looks like an Aussie Dog (at last it looks like a dog, I'm no expert on pedigrees). What a cute girl you are. Good job. Happy 25!

Laurie said...

You are AMAZING!!!! (I think I start every comment like that because you are!!!!) I LOVE the dress, it is so cute and SO ARE YOU!)