Sunday, October 11, 2009

Weekend Amusements: Conchas, Stars, and Horsies!



Jordan surprised me this week by bringing me conchas from a Mexican bakery! When I was like 5, I saw an episode of Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood where they show how they make conchas (which are like a Mexican donut) and I thought they looked SO amazing! But my parents didn't share my interest so I've always longed to try one. When we were in Mexico, we tried to find a bakery but the only one we found was disgusting and the food was covered in flies. Ew. So Jordan suprised me and brought home some conchas for breakfast! Mmm, they were good!

On Saturday, Jordan was studying in the morning, so I came up with a project for myself. No, it wasn't cupcakes. Halloween is coming, so I decided to work on my costume! Jordan and I are going to be the Phantom of the Opera and Christine Daae this year (Jordan is so nice to go along with my ideas...he can pick next year!). I've always wanted to be Christine, but you can't be Christine without Phantom. Anyway, I'm basing my costume off the movie when Christine sings "Think of Me." She has those little stars in her hair, and I haven't been able to find any for sale, so I decided to get creative.



I bought some of those little hair clippies and then I headed to JoAnn's to find some sparkly things I could use for stars. I ended up buying sparkly foam paper and I cut out 12 stars and glued them to my clippies.




They turned out so cute! I curled my hair today to do a trial run. Here was the end result:



After Jordan had finished studying, we went out to Heritage to ride some horses! It was really fun. Jordan rode Abby, one of our new horses, and I rode Warp (he's kind of retarded because he used to be a racehorse and even though he's like 20 now, he's still really crazy). Jordan cantered all over the place like a real cowboy! Afterwards, we made my brother Matt some chicken soup (he was feeling sick) and dropped it off on our way to Divine Comedy. What a great day!



On a last, random note, I just have to share my table centerpiece. Last week Gram Birks and Lani gave all the girls in the family these cute pumpkin salt and pepper shakers, and I just love salt and pepper shakers! I found this adorable mini hay bale at a garage sale for 25 cents and they are just too cute together (even if it kind of makes a mess). So thanks Lani and Gram for that cute addition to my table!

6 comments:

Simon Says said...

You are so cute and creative! i want to be like you! Love you! Lani

Robynn said...

I LOVE the Christine Stars, You are gorgous!!!! I love Salt and Pepper shakers too. Your table looks darling! I can't wait to put mine out too. Thanks for the cute idea. Love, Auntie Rob

RyRy said...

Adorable!

How was divine comedy?!

RyRy said...

Love the blog makeover! nice touch!

Emily said...

Hey Jamie. This is Emily (Seavers) Pearson. I just noticed on facebook you had a blog! We have one too at tylerandemily.blogspot.com Your layout is cute. I love the Christine stars in your hair! Such a good costume!

Laurie said...

I love your darling table decorations, your gorgeous hair and clips, and your blog makeover! I'm so glad to be your mother in law, you talented little gal!