Saturday, March 16, 2013

My First Quilt

After we found out baby is a boy, I looked all over for bedding that I liked. Of course the only stuff I liked was super, super expensive (like in the $300-$400 range), so I decided that I would make my own bedding. I know, I'm super brave. Or dumb, considering I'd never, ever made a quilt before. 

Luckily, a million people have put quilt tutorials on the internet, so I was able to find one that didn't seem TOO overwhelming. Also I had my sister-in-law Krista on speed dial so I could call her whenever I got confused.

I bought fabric at Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's when Jordan was in D.C. a month ago and got going. This thing took me forever! And it's just a small baby quilt!

First I cut all my strips of fabric and laid them out how I wanted them, and then sewed them together. Thank goodness for my trusty sewing machine!


Here is my quilt top after I'd sewn about half of the pieces together.


After that, I cut my quilt back and the batting and made my "quilt sandwich"--quilt back facing the ground, batting on top of that, and quilt top on top. Then I pinned it down really well.



Then I started to quilt! This part was kind of scary, but not too bad. I just stitched on each side of the seam. It took forever though!


After that I just had to make the border thing and sew along the edge. That part really wasn't too bad. I found an easy tutorial that really helped!

So, after two weeks, I finally had a finished baby quilt! I just love it!

This picture was taken today--you get a sneak
peak of the nursery paint!

Here's the back of the quilt so you can see the quilting.


I still have to make a crib skirt, curtains, and a few pillows. But I figure (and really hope!) that the quilt was the hardest part and now it's done! It's not a perfect quilt but it was sewn with lots of love!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Great job! I love the patterns

Dennis and Bonnie Danielson said...

Super cute. It looks very professional. That sweet baby is gonna love it!

Unknown said...

What a darling quilt! I can't wait to see little Logan wrapped up in it! Such bright, happy colors! (PS I love the nursery paint!)

Linda and Tyrel said...

Love your blanket! It's so cute; you did a good job with the patterns and colors :)