We had an adventure Thursday night. Jordan has been out of town this week, so he's been coming home every other night. Thursday he stayed out because I had a Relief Society thing anyway. That evening, I felt totally fine. I didn't feel sick or anything. I hadn't gotten a lot of sleep the night before, so I went to bed at 10:00. But at 11:00 I woke up in a lot of pain. It felt like everything in my upper abdomen was constricting and it hurt really, really bad! I wasn't super worried about it at first. I chalked it up to normal pregnancy pain and figured baby Logan was in an uncomfortable spot for me and so I tried stretching and walking around trying to get him to move.
15 minutes later it hadn't made any difference and the pain was getting worse. I decided to take a shower to see if the water would lesson the pain, and it didn't. I started to get worried at that point because I didn't think this could be normal. I didn't think I was in labor because the tightness wasn't coming and going, but I thought there could definitely be something bad happening with baby. I decided to call my sister-in-law Krista to see what she thought, and she (very smartly) told me to call my doctor. At this point it was around midnight so I called the on-call thing and was able to get a hold of Dr. Payne. He said if the baby was moving around, he was probably okay, but that I needed to go to the hospital anyway.
After I got off the phone with him I called Jordan and told him I was going to the hospital and he needed to come home (he was about two hours away). The pain was getting worse and I was on the floor and having a hard time breathing. I called Kristi's phone and Derek answered and I asked him to take me to the hospital. He immediately said he would be right over. Jordan called me and said he'd called Steve and Steve was on his way, so I called Derek back and told him Steve was going to get me (since Steve lives a little closer). I'm so grateful that we have friends who are SO willing to help me out, even at midnight. The pain was getting a lot worse and I was kind of freaking out.
We drove to the hospital, they took me up to Labor and Delivery, and hooked me up to a bunch of monitors. The nurse informed me that baby Logan sounded like he was doing fine and he was kicking me like crazy, so that was good. They gave me some medicine and watched me for a while, and the pain started to subside. Poor Steve had to stay there for two hours until Jordan got there. He was really good about talking and trying to keep my mind off of everything though.
A little before 2:00am the nurse came in and told me that she'd talked to Dr. Payne and he'd said to discharge me. I felt okay at that point, so she left to get the papers. As soon as she left the pain came back really bad. I paged the nurse and they came back in, and I started to throw up again. I could barely breathe. About 15 minutes later the pain started to go down again and the nurse informed me that they would be keeping me overnight. Oh goody.
![]() |
| Here's a really nice picture Jordan took of me after they told me I had to stay overnight. I was sad. |
Finally at 6 am, the nurse told me that I could go home. YAY! Jordan drove me home and we slept for a couple of hours before we went into Dr. Payne's office. He did an exam and said that he was pretty sure it was acid reflux. I was like, "WHAT! I thought I was going to die." But apparently it can get crazy bad. I was still convinced he was wrong, but that night the pain came back for about an hour. It wasn't as bad, but I felt like he was probably right. I guess that's why he's a doctor and I'm not. Saturday morning I called and told the midwife what had happened (she was on call for the office) and she called in a prescription for me, and ever since then, no more pain.
So that's my story. It's kind of embarrassing that I was hospitalized for acid reflux, but I'm glad I went in. Hopefully that's the last time I go to the hospital before little Logan is ready to come. Although the pain I was in made me really terrified of labor! Yikes!

8 comments:
Glad everything's ok. I would have been totally freaked out too, I had no idea acid reflux could do that!
Don't be embarrassed. I went to the ER a few weeks ago and it turns out I was just having gas pains. Over 2,000 dollars down the drain to find out I needed to purchase Beano.
I'm glad everything turned out ok!
OMG!!! You can ALWAYS call me too, any time you need me!!
I thought you were going to say it was gallstones! I've been having pain like that lately, but mine is attributed to gallstones. Glad you went to the hospital and got it all sorted out! That can be scary. Hope the medicine keeps doing the trick :) glad you're ok!
OMG the title of this post scared me so badddd!! So glad things are ok.
so glad you and baby are ok! still praying for you guys! XOXO
Post a Comment