Saturday, June 22, 2013

Blackberry Adventure

One of the great things about living in Georgia is all the awesome produce we get out here, and the fact that a lot of it you can self-pick, which makes it way cheaper. Earlier in the week our Relief Society President had sent out an email saying that there was a you-pick blackberry farm where it was only $7 a gallon for blackberries! I just love blackberries, especially since we had a lot of blackberry bushes when I was growing up and so I was spoiled with fresh berries and delicious blackberry pies every summer.

What I didn't realize when I got this idea into my head was that the farm was an hour and a half away! But we decided it would be okay and we went anyway. And I'm really glad we did! It was nice to get out of the house and do something different and not think about how I just want baby Logan to get here already.

We were lucky and had pretty decent weather. It wasn't too hot and there was a nice breeze.


When we were there all these memories of picking blackberries as a kid came flooding back. I spent hours every summer picking blackberries--it was one of my frequent chores. I told Jordan that I would pretend I was a poor homeless kid who had to pick blackberries to sell to help her family. And of course I always had my trusty dog Sofie to keep me company, even as a homeless kid (my parents really weren't that mean, I promise--I just had an active imagination).

Jordan took his time and picked only the most amazing blackberries. I picked two gallons in the time it took him to do one, but his are probably higher quality than mine are.


There were a couple older ladies there who had driven up from Florida to pick berries, and I said hi to them when I went back for another bucket. We had a fun conversation.

Them: You must be miserable!
Me: Nah, it's not too bad out here.
Them: When are you due?
Me: In a week.
Them: *look totally shocked*
Me: Well, maybe it will send me into labor!

Of course it didn't.


Anyway, after a couple of hours Jordan and I had three buckets of nice, plump blackberries. We went to go pay but no one was there! They just had a note that said to leave your payment in the little drop box. They were very trusting.

We also picked up a box of peaches while we were there. We've been here three years now and Jordan's never had a GEORGIA peach. (I don't like peaches, so I haven't either). He tried one when we got home and he said they were the best peaches he's ever had ever. I told Mom I would try to save one for her (she comes on Tuesday) but Jordan thinks he's going to eat the whole box before she gets here.


I've been working on freezing the berries for the last few hours. It's slow going but it will be worth it. I measured them out and we have enough for NINE blackberry pies. HEAVEN. I'm going to make one tomorrow. I already have the pie crust done, but I'm making cupcakes for my Sunday School class right now  so the pie is going to have to wait.



Mmmm. Delicious!



5 comments:

The Sauls Family said...

A) Georgia peaches are the best. No offense, sub-par California peaches!

2) I can't believe Jordan hadn't had one yet!

III) You don't like peaches?!?!??!? A crime, I say!

The Sauls Family said...

Also- look at that sky in the background in the pic of Jordan! Gorgeous!!

Unknown said...

Blackberries are delicious! How wonderful that they were thornless. I remember when you were the poor little homeless boxcar girl picking blackberries and pricking her fingers on the thorns! I can't wait to come on Tuesday!

RyRy said...

so fun!!

Laurie said...

What a great adventure! Wish I was there to taste your pie, yummy!!!