Thursday, February 4, 2010

Bad things come in...twos?


I'm really hoping the old adage "bad things come in threes" proves itself false this weekend.

Jordan's interview went well, but now he's stranded in DC due to bad weather. He might not be home until Sunday, or even Tuesday, depending on how long the weather stays bad. The FDIC tried to get all their interviewees home early but Jordan couldn't get a flight. They also told them that instead of giving the results of the interviews tomorrow, they are going to have to wait until Monday. That's sad. I miss my Jordan and I wish he could come home sooner.

But right after I got off the phone with him, I got a call from one of my friends at (Heritage) work. She told me that she was really sorry, but my favorite horse, Turvey, had to be put down this afternoon. Something happened to him, they found him in the back pasture covered with cuts and he had had some sort of head and neck injury. They had the vet out and there wasn't much they could do for him, since he was older and the injuries were so bad. I'm not sure what they were from, I had kind of stopped listening to Chelsea at that point because I was so shocked.

I had just worked with Turvey yesterday. He was fine and energetic, even taking off with one of my students at a canter when he was supposed to be trotting. He had given me that cute look when I gave him some treats. It's hard to believe that he's suddenly gone.

Pretty much all the Heritage staff didn't like Turvey, but I thought he was great. He was a big, beautiful bay Thoroughbred gelding, and I liked to ride him and jump him in my free time. He loved to jump! He would get so excited and happy about it. He reminded me a lot of Chance, one of the first horses I ever loved (and cried over--remember, Mom, when you and Dad said I couldn't lease him? Heavens, I was dramatic), and the first horse I ever took to a horse show.

Goodbye, Turvey. I will miss you a lot. Maybe you and me and Scout can all hang out in heaven someday.

And I miss you too, Jordan. But at least I'll get to see you next week. :)

3 comments:

Simon Says said...

I'm so sorry about Turvey! LYLani

Unknown said...

I'm felt sad when I read your e-mail. I thought about Chance--what a great horse he was when he was with you. I'm so sorry about Turvey. I love you.

Dad and I were talking about Jordan's interview last night. Did you know that Dad's first interview in Portland,Oregon included a big storm. That was our first choice of jobs, but now I'm so, so, so thankful he didn't get it. We might have ended up in Oregon and not have you!

Laurie said...

I am sorry to hear about Turvey too! What a shock! I hope Jordan gets home tomorrow!!! That is way too long for him to be out of town. Hope you had a fun superbowl party. We missed you at our birthday party!