squat-er [skwot-er]
--noun
a person who settles on land or occupies property without title, right, or payment of rent.
So says dictionary.com.
Here we are, Lexi and I, living as illegals. We were supposed to close on our house on Friday and the lenders let us know that that wasn't going to happen. Because the end of the month is TODAY we had to get all our stuff out of that apartment, because I didn't really feel like paying $750 in rent for a couple of weeks. That's half the cost of my fence! (PS Fences are really expensive! Who knew?)
ANYWAY. Our nice friends the Scotts were kind enough to let us use their garage as a storage shed. Pretty much everything we own is in there right now. And thus we became homeless last night when we locked the door to Apartment 1102 and said goodbye to Princeton Place Apts forever. We had a sleepover at the Scotts last night but since Jaylene isn't home this week I had to leave today because Jordan left me here all by myself!
Jordan, lucky guy that he is, flew out to Washington D.C. leaving his dog and wife without a home. Interestingly enough, it happens to be the same week a couple of my more dog-friendly friends are out of town, and Lexi makes it difficult to stay at anyone's home (we totally understand!). I don't want to put her in a kennel because I'm going to Utah on Friday and putting her in a kennel right after packing up her entire home seemed cruel. I think she's having anxiety.
However, Jordan's awesome coworker Aaron was bullied into letting me use his apartment by his girlfriend Sara to let me use his apartment (Aaron is also going to D.C. with Jordan, and Sara is going too...I wish I were going :( . Anyway he gave in quite willingly (oh, P.S. Aaron is so awesome he also let us borrow his truck for moving stuff. Geez. We are lucky he had to, I mean got to, live in Albany and work for the FDIC here!) and so now Lexi and I are here in his apartment watching cable and living the good life.
Well, kind of. I have some anxiety that the landlady is going to yell at me, just from stuff I've heard from Aaron and Sara about how mean she is. And plus Lexi is way over their 25 lbs limit. Basically we're just not going to leave the apartment at all. Lexi can pee twice a day. Got that, Lexi??
| I have to go to the bathroom ALL THE TIME!! |
Sigh. At this point it doesn't feel like we're EVER going to get into this house, but I'm sure we will. It's just been a not-so-fun couple of days. Jordan's birthday (Thursday) was kind of a bust because of that (sorry Jordan!).
But, as always, I'm trying to be positive (I can't help it if it doesn't come natural). Here's my positive list:
1. All our friends got to prove EXACTLY how much they like us. And guess what? I think they like us even more than I thought they did!
2. This will end in Jordan, Jamie, and Lexi living in a house. It WILL.
3. I no longer have to live in my fruit-fly-infested apartment.
4. I will get to eat out a lot this week because I don't really want to mess with all of Aaron's dishes (and if anyone wants to invite me over for dinner, I'm willing. Ha ha!)
5. On Friday I will escape all of this and get to spend a few days in Bear Lake with my darling nieces and Jordan's family!
In the meantime, Lexi and I will continue to live in squatterdom.

2 comments:
We can't wait to see you and give you a place to sleep for a couple of days!!!!!
Oh Sweetie,
And now the landlady has kicked you out! Just a few more days. I'm so thankful that you have a wonderful friend and a place to sleep. I love you.
Post a Comment