Saturday, November 26, 2011

Extra Thanksgiving Guest

Thanksgiving morning Jordan and I were driving out to Albany (we kind of live in the "country" of Albany, called Leesburg, for all you non-Georgians) for a ward turkey bowl when I saw a dog sitting in the middle of a baseball field, all alone.

"Turn around! There was an abandoned dog and it looked aussie-esque!" I said to Jordan.

He actually listened to me (he's the most non-whipped husband around) and we went to go check out the dog. We had Lexi with us so we left her in the car.

Upon closer examination, he wasn't very aussie-ish at all. He just had black-tri coloring and a docked tail.. He was sooo skinny it was ridiculously sad. But he came up to us and was so sweet and friendly. We just couldn't leave him there, and all the animal shelters were closed due to it being Thanksgiving, so we ditched the turkey bowl and took him home with us and named him Cooper.



We fed him lots and lots of food and he and Lexi had a great time running around together. We also gave him a flea bath because he was disgusting. Jordan and I debated a lot over whether or not we should keep him if we didn't find his owner (surprisingly, I was the voice of reason). We put him in the corner of the yard on his tie-out during Thanksgiving dinner and he was very sweet to everyone who went over and said hello.

A friend suggested we post his picture on a SW Georgia lost pet site and what do you know, before I left for agility this morning we got a call from a guy who said that Cooper was his dog. He lives about 40 minutes away and Cooper has been missing for 2 months (his real name is Tom but we can't possibly call him that). He's coming to pick him up tomorrow afternoon. Yay!

I'm glad that our dog adventure had a happy ending without us ending up with another dog. I don't think we're quite ready for that yet. But Lexi is sure going to miss Cooper!

1 comment:

Marcie said...

I'm so glad that Copper is back home safe and sound. He is such a handsome dog. What a fun story to tell your little ones someday!