Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Conquering Caramel

Take a look at this salted caramel sauce.

Look! I tried to be all fancy with a fabric background!

Doesn't it look divine?

It tastes delicious, too.

And I actually MADE it!

After seeing salted caramel things floating around on Pinterest for a couple months, I resolved to make some salted caramel cupcakes for a friend's baby shower this week. Hey, if everyone on Pinterest was doing it, I could certainly do it, too.

Erm. Perhaps not.

The recipes were all deceptively easy. Sugar+Butter+Heavy Cream+Salt=Salted Caramel Sauce. How hard could it be?

Answer: Hard.

I started by using a Pinterest tutorial. I like tutorials that have lots of pretty pictures, and this one fit the bill. So I tried it on Sunday. I couldn't really tell when the sugar turned "too dark" (it happened so fast!) so I just added the rest of the butter, cream, salt anyway. Then I tasted it. Ew. It tasted like burning. For a second I was like, "Maybe it's supposed to takes like that...?" Ha.

Yesterday I tried again. I used a VIDEO tutorial and watched it three times. I turned the heat lower and watched the sugar VERY closely. And again, I watched it burn. I didn't add all the other ingredients because, let's face it, cream is expensive. So it turned into a black mess molded into the bottom of my pan, a lot like this:


Ewwwww.

So I was pretty bummed out. I fancy myself to be a pretty decent baker, and caramel was alluding me! And apparently everyone in the whole world thought it was "easy" and "simple" (according to Pinterest). I had been defeated. I decided I would just make another type of cupcake instead. 

But I woke up this morning with a new resolve. I will persevere! Caramel sauce will not beat me down! 

Obviously I am in need of a little victory in my life.

So I searched the internet for yet another tutorial. I found one that added water to the sugar. This was different. Maybe I should give it a go. The pictures on the tutorial were slightly less pretty, but I was willing to give it a try.

And YAY! It worked! I conquered the elusive salted caramel sauce!




Jordan and I will be feasting on caramel corn, caramel apple pie, and caramel cupcakes for a long while now. And the baby shower will have caramel cupcakes! The day is saved! Jamie is victorious! 


5 comments:

Marcie said...

Wow! I love caramel sauce! Can't wait for you to teach me how at Thanksgiving!

Dennis and Bonnie Danielson said...

Good job! Now are you sharing that recipe...the one that works?

Kristi said...

I am so excited to try it!!

Meags said...

haha, congratulations! :)

Amira said...

Hehe, this is awesome, I did the same thing the first time I tried toffee, then when I beat it I was so proud! You are awesome, as is your caramel sauce!