Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Coming Home

All good things must come to an end. After being gone for 25 days, it was time for Logan and I to head back to Albany. The night before we flew out, my dad took us out for ice cream at the new Leatherby's in Elk Grove.





Mom and I split this delicious raspberry sundae thing. It was so good! And definitely enough for two people.


My flight was at 6:30 am on Wednesday morning, which meant that I had to wake up at 3:30. That's just gross. Although it's kind of good because I was too tired to cry when I said goodbye to my family. Logan was pretty tired and was content to sleep in the Moby on the flight from Sacramento to Salt Lake.


Sadly, I've never been able to sleep on planes. I sure wish I could, though. We had a two hour layover in SLC, so I bought myself a yummy breakfast burrito. Of course, it's really difficult to eat while holding a baby, so poor Logan had to lay on the nasty floor. I put down my changing pad but I still felt like a bad mom. Logan seemed pretty happy to kick his legs though.


We got on our long flight from Salt Lake City to Atlanta and once again he was a perfect flying baby. During our three hour layover in the Atlanta airport, I could tell he was starting to get tired of our trip. I was too; who could blame him? I was so relieved that the flight to Albany was on time. Pretty frequently that flight is delayed, so that was definitely a tender mercy.

Napping in the airport

The flight to Albany is a very short half hour flight, and my friend Jennifer was nice enough to meet us at the airport and take us home. We got home around 9:30 and we were happy to be home, until I walked into the kitchen and found a very upsetting senario.

Either Jordan and I had left a bunch of grapes on the counter and they had been attacked by fruit flies. Thousands of fruit flies. It was terrible. They were everywhere--on all my counters and cabinets. They were in all the bedrooms. I started to freak out and cry--how could I stay here with my baby? I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep, and Logan would be breathing in fruit flies all night.

Fortunately I am blessed with amazing friends. I called Kristi and she immediately told me that I could come over--she would let me sleep in her daughter's bed and would set up her pack'n'play for Logan. I threw the essentials in a suitcase and got ready to escape to Kristi's house. Before I left I set out some fruit fly traps--a bowl of apple cider vinegar with dish soap in it. I didn't think it would make much of a difference. I thought for sure we were going to have to bug bomb the house, which made me really upset. I would have to scrub the whole house afterwrads and it would be SO much work.

The next day, Kristi and I ran some errands with the babies. We went to Lowe's and got several bug bombs. Then I ran over and picked up Lexi! She was so excited to see me! She jumped into my lap and was just thrilled. I was so excited to see her too! I've missed my crazy little dog.

She looks a little crazy in this picture.

 After Logan fell asleep for his afternoon nap, Kristi was nice enough to watch him while I ran over to the house to bug bomb the place. When I walked in, I expected to see the swarms of bugs again.

Instead, I found my fly trap full of flies! It was super gross, but most of the flies were dead! YAY!


I called Kristi and told her what had happened and that I was super excited. Logan and I would stay at Kristi's again that night while (hopefully) the rest of the flies were stupid enough to kill themselves. I made fresh fly traps and then went back to Kristi's. We made a delicious dinner of bacon, waffles, and hashbrowns (an FDIC wife favorite!) and then watched Motive, which is a pretty good show.

The next day was Friday, when Jordan was coming home! I was so excited. Logan and I hadn't seen him in 3 weeks. Kristi and I hung out all day and made a delicious steak and potatoes dinner. In the afternoon, I went over to the house and found more dead flies! Yay! The house was definately back to livable conditions. I cleaned up a bit, unloaded some groceries, and dropped Lexi off at the house, then headed back to Kristi's.

Jordan's flight was supposed to get in at 8:30 pm. I dressed Logan up in this cute little romper for the occasion.


Unfortunately, Jordan's plane was delayed for an hour and a half. It felt like the longest hour and a half ever! Logan and I got to the airport around 9:30 and we saw the plane land and saw Jordan get off the plane. It's so great to be together as a family again.




2 comments:

Laurie said...

So glad you are all back together, and those fruit flies are all gone!!!! (Not the welcoming committee you were hoping for!)

Kristi said...

I am so happy you did't have to set off the bombs too!!